Wednesday, May 24, 2006

What is this blog about?

Well, here I am, jumping on the blogging bandwagon. I'm kind of ambivalent about it, frankly, since I've always felt like there are already way too many people out there airing way too many opinions. Does the world really need all that noise? When does the "marketplace of ideas" get a little too congested?

But you know, the other day I took a really great photo, and I got to thinking, "Wouldn't it be great to have someplace to put this so other people could see it?"

That's what's given me the impetus to create this blog. I want to post photos here that I've taken around the city, images that capture the beauty of New York and the transience of light and shadow, which tend to be my favorite subjects. (Hence the blog name -- also an indirect tribute to my favorite musician, Joni Mitchell, whose live album from 1980 has the same title.) I'll also post photos from other locations when I'm lucky enough to travel.

Sure, I'll add some narration now and then. Maybe some weird New York stories, stuff that will help me share my life in the city. This is all a big experiment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought I should read your first post to see what inspired you. Ah, Joni. Nice to know another fan of hers. Her music was the soundtrack to my life. I feel lucky to have come of age during such stunning poetry and music. I'm glad you started your blog way back when, I see I have a lot of catching up to do.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I predict that you will still be blogging fifteen years from now. I further predict that you will living in London with a musician called Dave and a dog called Olga who is not yet born. Have you heard of the property developer Donald Trump? I predict he will become America's president and his followers will storm the US Capitol Building. You can put money on it.