Saturday, July 21, 2007

Long Island City, Queens, July 2007


My cat seems to be going through a rough patch again, health-wise. She got a bladder infection last weekend, which necessitated a visit to the "cat emergency room" on Sunday night (and never mind how much THAT cost). She's been on antibiotics all week, but the vet cultured the infection and belatedly realized that the antibiotics we've been giving her are not the most effective for this particular bacterium. So today we're going to switch to another kind.

I am so lucky that she'll take medicine in her food. Otherwise I don't know how I would get any medication down her.

The most sobering news was that her kidneys are not functioning well. This apparently can be masked by hyperthyroidism, so now that we've corrected that problem, the kidney issue has moved to the fore. But I'm not sure there's much we can do about it. It's just something that happens to old cats, and I don't think it represents an imminent danger. But you never know.

For now, she seems pretty outwardly healthy. She purrs, plays, eats well and keeps herself groomed. I'm going to start calling her the "Million Dollar Cat."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh I'm so sorry to hear your poor kitty is ill again. And the money, oh god. Especially earlier in life, Jake was the million dollar dog.

I'm glad she's purring and well groomed. That means she feels pretty good. Hope her health turns itself around for both of your sakes!

Anonymous said...

sending good thoughts to Armenia from Ched

the photo is part real part dream today

Anonymous said...

poor old cat. i hope she's doing ok.