Monday, July 9, 2007

Southampton, N.Y., July 2007


Back from a weekend in Southampton with my friends Pam and Bryan and their two children. As the novelty in the family, I wound up being the center of attention for little Amanda, who’s three, and who wouldn’t let me out of her sight. It’s always such an ego boost to spend time with a little kid!

We swam in the pool, where we tried to show Amanda how to dog-paddle, and we lazed around the house. We took Amanda to soccer practice. We went to Sag Harbor for ice cream, and had a little birthday party for Pam, a friend of mine from the Peace Corps. It was all very domestic. (Amanda’s little brother Spencer was there for all of this, but he’s a mostly quiet baby, and tends to blend into the background!)


Small kids can be very intimidating. They’re so unfiltered, they’re likely to say anything. But they’re also very Zen - invested in the moment, and full of the energy of the moment, whether it’s happy or sad or something in between. (It’s rarely in between.)

Of course, they’re deluded too, full of desires that demand to be met. But you can see flashes of their little Buddha natures as they watch a bug or play a game or color in the coloring book - the intensity, the focus, even the kindness.

I don’t know how parents do it. I’m exhausted!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend, Steve. I'm glad to see that you took the camera after all.

Your point about parenting is right on. Sneedlet was here for five straight days while his mom was out of town and it was very tiring, physically, as well as emotionally.

Anonymous said...

Are those color pics? They're stunning!

Glad you broke your routine and had a fun weekend. Parenting is very strengthening! But those of us without children have our strengths, too.

Speaking of routines, I really missed reading your blog over the weekend. Isn't that silly?

Anonymous said...

Love the photos, so clean and freshy-fresh.
I rec'd something totally groovy in the mail and it is going out to the framer--it is really unusual! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Merle: I did have a good weekend, and I love the kids. But I can't wait to get home and pet the cat and watch a movie QUIETLY.

Reya: Thanks for missing me! That gives me a big boost! They are color photos...just naturally subdued.

Ched: Glad you like the groovy mailing! I thought of you instantly! (For the benefit of everyone else, it was a Bob Dylan poster inside the brochure from the Psychedelic Art exhibit at the Whitney.)