Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Caged


Last night I dreamed that I went upstairs in my apartment.

Now, mind you, I don’t HAVE an upstairs in my apartment. My building has stairs, sure, but in my dream this upstairs climb took place within my living space.

I took an open flight of stairs up to a sort of loft, which was furnished but very dusty. It was apparent I hadn’t been up there in a long time. I found kitchen cabinets filled with stemware - wow, I never knew I had so much stemware! I found halls and rooms that I never used.

Then I woke up.

I’m told this is a common New York dream. In fact, years ago, I think I read an article about the phenomenon. It supposedly has something to do with the fact that we all live in such small spaces (well, except for the super-rich among us, which I am obviously not). It’s a function of our yearning to break the barriers of our 350-square-foot apartments.

Then again, I remember having dreams like this even when I lived in a house: the newly discovered hallway, the closet that wasn't a closet. Maybe it's just our minds trying to break their own barriers?

(Photo: Tiny birdcage, East Village, Dec. 2007)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

New Yorkers are so funny! This is a common dream everywhere and throughout time. Finding rooms you never knew about is symbolic of discovering new facets of yourself, exploring the shadow side of your personality and being.

Rinse out the stemware, Steve. it's time to make a toast to an even more fascinating, multi-faceted you!

Anonymous said...

I've never had that dream that I can recall. I used to have a recurring dream where I was trying to get to work or to somewhere important and no matter how I tried I was blocked from getting there. Since I don't work full-time anymore, I don't have that dream.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...stemware and empty rooms. Seems like this could be a bit Freudian don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Reya is right--and climbing UP stairs in a dream is an intellectual move-- a house represents self, and the attic is the brain. (a kitchen would represent eating habits)

It could also very well be a small space dream-- people stuck in cabins all winter dream of being out on the roof--except when they reach the roof it is a fine restaurant or a sunny resort.

I think it is a self/intellect dream though.

Anonymous said...

very cute photo.

Anonymous said...

i don't think i've had this sort of dream. i have had the sort Merle describes tho....

stemware? hmmm yes indeed
;op