Saturday, October 11, 2008

Filling


I went to the dentist late yesterday afternoon, and he decided to replace my filling. I'm not 100 percent sure that the filling really broke, because my tooth pain virtually went away yesterday -- but I think the dentist figured, better safe than sorry. I'm getting a gold inlay (!) but it's in my very back tooth so no one will be able to see it. He said gold would be stronger than porcelain and assured me that they cost the same amount. I hope my insurance agrees.

Last night I went to a fun art opening for a photography show, "Quality of Life," that some friends of mine are involved in. It was a little strange being there with a numb lower jaw. I was scared to try to drink anything, at least at first. But the photography was great, and eventually enough feeling returned that I was able to have a can of good old Genessee beer.

(Photo: Arch in the East Village, Sept. 2008)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have some gold way back in my mouth. And I was told the same thing.

Nice toothy photo today!

Anonymous said...

I have gold fillings, even a gold crown, in my mouth. I like having gold in my mouth.

So glad you're on the mend, out and about, looking at photos and having a beer.

Happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

Getting gold teeth is just a rite of passage to middle age. Many of us have experienced that rite multiple times. I could afford a fairly nice car for all the money I have invested in my mouth.

You will have to show off your golden tooth the next time I see you!

Anonymous said...

thanks for coming out last night - numb jaw and all! :)

Anonymous said...

Ooch! I hate the dentist, but at least they can fix it and you feel better...

I, like Barbara, am very tired but glad to be able to check out your blog again after a hectic couple of days.

Enjoy the weekend!

I go to the dentist Monday myself!

Anonymous said...

And I thought gold was just for show. I had no idea it's better than porcelain. My dentist back in NY used to say porcelain was better because it just blended in with the teeth. He never mentioned a stronger alternative. But what your dentist said makes sense.

Anonymous said...

I hate to be crass but I read too quickly and thought you went to a 'fart' opening instead of a fun art opening. LOL.

Aren't teeth such fun?

Anonymous said...

I have a gold crown...always thought it brought a certain about of bling to my mouth....however a couple years ago when I had a series of teeth that broke (a combo of old age and old fillings) I did opt for porcelain crowns ....

never fun to drink anything with numb jaws or lips...dribble, dibble.

Anonymous said...

we were talking about gold teeth today!!!!!