Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Bienvenue a Montreal!


So here I am in Montreal, where my very rudimentary French is being put to the test. Of course I could speak English, but I feel like I ought to make an effort -- so I'm doling out the "bonjours" like I know what I'm talking about. Fun!

I drove up yesterday with my friend Bill, through the piney Adirondack mountains of New York. The weather was spectacular, and as we drove north the deciduous trees began to take on a bit of color -- a yellowish tone here and there, or, in the case of the sumac, bright red lower leaves. Fall is coming!

Around Plattsburgh the mountains flattened out into a plain, and we passed farm after farm with acres of corn. I didn't realize the land in this part of Canada would be so flat -- that was a surprise!

After we checked into the hotel, we went walking on St. Catherine Street, which is right outside our door. It seems to be one of the main drags in downtown, and happily it leads right to the gay neighborhood, which -- go figure -- is called "Le Village." We had dinner there and visited a local bar before coming back to the hotel and crashing.

Today we're off to do some sightseeing.

I like traveling with my computer, which was a new experiment for me on this trip. It's pretty awesome to be able to blog and upload photos from the road!

(Photo: You gotta love a "Canada" t-shirt with a faux leopard maple leaf! St. Catherine Street, Montreal)

6 comments:

mum said...

I once lived smack dab in 'le village' before it became 'le village', on a tiny street called Sainte-Rose just off rue Visitation (just in case you're ever around that area). A faux leopard maple leaf ... I... pass on commenting :-)

Enjoy your sightseeing.

e said...

Have a wonderful time! Your future dispatches should include some leaves changing...I've always wanted to see that!

Barbara said...

I love the feeling of Montreal. I'm always intrigued by the mix of French and English. As I recall there's no shortage of excellent food, so you can live up to your gourmet diet back home. Enjoy yourself!

I'm sure Dave wishes his work obligations had allowed him a trip to Montreal!

Merle Sneed said...

I've only been to Canada once and it was to the mountainy Western part.

Reya Mellicker said...

D'accord!! Sounds like lots of fun.

As you drove north, you advanced in seasonal time. Remember that whole construct of mine, the geography of time?

When you come home, you'll back up, into late summer. In the meantime, enjoy the fall!!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

a trip to montreal is a wonderful way to kickstart autumn! ah, wish I was there, geea, it's been way, way too long since I was last there. beautiful city.

have fun!!