Sunday, September 27, 2009

Jacksonville 2


Still here in Jacksonville, hanging out with the family. This photo shows a firebush in my brother's back yard -- it supposedly attracts butterflies and hummingbirds, though so far all I've seen in it is a Carolina Wren. My brother said it's full of green anoles, too.

I wound up not reading my book at all yesterday. Instead, we had lunch together and then, when my brother turned on the University of South Florida football game, I went for a walk. (I make it a policy to avoid football games, even when they involve my alma mater.) USF did win the game, though, against Florida State -- a huge victory. So the mood was buoyant around the house for the rest of the day.

During my walk I visited an antique store up the road from my brother, and found a birthday present for a friend I'm going to see Wednesday -- an amazing hand-blown glass vase. I am SO tempted to keep this vase -- but no, I'm going to give it to her. The fact that I want it just shows that it's a good present!

Last night I took everyone out for a barbecue dinner. Messy, but I love barbecue sauce, so I was into it! (And fortunately, they served chicken!) I also had sweet tea, which reminded me of my childhood baby sitter, who always kept syrupy sweet tea in her refrigerator. I used to drink it while watching Marlo Thomas in "That Girl" and dreaming of New York!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

FSU is my alma mater. I was quite the football fan in those days, but I have since decided football is too violent a sport to enjoy. I suppose I can still feel a certain pride if FSU beats the U of F, their longest rival.

BBQ chicken and sweet tea sound so much like home. That part I miss.