Thursday, October 1, 2009

Dragging


I'm reaching that point in my vacation when I start to want to go back home. It's been great to hang out with the family and relax, but I'm feeling a bit antsy and at loose ends. I miss Dave and my cat and my apartment and my city life.

I made one serious mistake when I planned this trip: I did not bring my running shoes. I thought it would lighten my baggage load to leave them at home. It did, but at the cost of my sanity. I really, really need some aerobic exercise, and the release that comes with it. I'm going to get out and do some walking when I finish writing this post.*


My friend Sue liked her vase, which I gave her last night. We went to dinner at an Italian place near an old apartment building where both of us used to live, nearly 20 years ago. It was great to be with her, back in the old neighborhood. The night before last I saw my high school girlfriend, Barbara, who's doing well as an English teacher in the same county where we grew up. Tonight I'm seeing some other old college friends as well.

As William Faulkner famously said, "The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past."

*Addendum, a few hours later: I feel MUCH better after a 4-mile brisk walk!

(Photos: The back porch of my mom's house.)

2 comments:

Barbara said...

They sell running shoes in FL I'm sure. Why don't you buy a pair and just leave them there so you can rediscover those endorphins every time you visit your family?

I'm sure Dave, Armenia, the dogs, and your friends back home are anxiously awaiting your return.

lettuce said...

It sounds as though you are catching up with lots of old friends - how great!

yes, i'm with Barbara - go and buy a pair!