Thursday, December 17, 2009

Ghost in the Machine


I've had a heck of a time getting on the Internet today. Dave has a wireless AT&T connection, and this morning I just couldn't get it to cooperate, using both my machine and his. Finally, just now, I got a reliable link. Not sure what that was about.

It's surprising how upsetting it can be to have something like a technical glitch derail my routines. I couldn't upload photos this morning or update my blog! (What was that again about not clinging?)

Last night, we went to a concert at the 92nd Street Y -- an oboe player named Maurice Bourgue and some colleagues gave a performance of several pieces by French composers. The Debussy (Sonata for Flute, Viola and Harp) and Poulenc (Sonata for Oboe and Piano) were especially beautiful and moving. I found a series of much older pieces by Couperin to be a bit tedious, especially because they involved a harpsichord, which has never been my favorite instrument. (Dave wanted to go primarily to see the woodwinds.)

(Photo: Williamsburg, Brooklyn, Dec. 2009)

2 comments:

Barbara said...

It's funny how certain composers "speak" to me more than others. I especially like Debussy and Poulenc. I have a hard time with Mozart, even though many people would put his music right up there on top.

I too am not thrilled by the harpsichord. It just doesn't have the depth or oomph of the piano, with no way to sustain any notes. I'm always glad to have my piano, even for the pieces that were initially written for harpsichord.

I can sympathize with your frustration at the Internet difficulties interfering with your plans. We have become so spoiled in our relationship with the Internet. We expect it to constantly act as our best and loyal friend, being constantly available, when in fact it's as persnickety as some of our human friends! I'm sure those 8 awarenesses would put this all in perspective...

mouse (aka kimy) said...

great scrawl on the wall! williamsburg is on my list - I did have a great walkabout in harlem on my last day in nyc, posted a flickr slide show on the mouse yesterday of my street art finds. have you seen the mural dealing commemorating the zapatistas in chiapas in spanish harlem? if not worthy of a wander.