Saturday, January 9, 2010

With or Without


Not much to write about today, so I thought I'd just leave you with these two photos I shot in Chinatown on Monday. It's another of my "with or without" experiments, in which I'm trying to get more people into my photos. At first I was intrigued by the shadows on the wall, and that black plastic bag blew in from the left of the frame, which seemed like a nice touch.

Then a lot of people started walking by.


I snapped several shots with passers-by, but I liked this one best because it's the least complicated. I wish I'd been able to get the man's full shadow into the frame, but then he would have been in front of the garbage cans, which would have disrupted their pattern. So maybe this is the best of all possibilities.

6 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

It's hard to compose shots with moving targets, eh? And when it's so cold, those who move, move quickly!

Nice shots, with and without.

Stay warm!!

Barbara said...

The man in the shot adds perspective and interest to what is a fairly bleak scene, even though there is a regular pattern to it, otherwise.

alphabet soup said...

Steve
You could have asked the person to walk back the other way, you would have had to change the picture composition a little and catch him at the very left edge before he passed the tree.

Just a suggestion:-)
Ms Soup

lettuce said...

really nice shots, i like the way he replaces the black bag

i'll watch your photography+people development with lots of interest

mouse (aka kimy) said...

the bleed off of the shadow works for me and I like how the tree's shadow melds into the man

tut-tut said...

Nice patterns . ..