Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A Florida Bestiary


I'm back home in London with Olga and Dave, and way too tired to write a full post. I didn't sleep at all on the plane, but I finished my David Sedaris book and watched two movies, "Identity Thief" (meh) and "The Place Beyond the Pines" (excellent).

In lieu of a real post, here's a collection of Florida critters, beginning with the wild bunny that appears from time to time to nibble weeds in my dad's yard.


Some of you asked what lubber grasshoppers look like. Here they are. Don't say I didn't warn you.


"Do you mind? We're trying to have an amorous moment!"


Back to cuteness -- the family of muscovy ducks down at the lake. Well, the babies are cute, anyway.


I was fascinated by these colorful damselflies. I took about a hundred photos before I got just the right one.


And then I found two mating, which really blew me away. Now those are some acrobatics! Insect kama sutra!


Finally, this colorful spider. I don't yet know what kind he is, but if I find out I will report back!

9 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

That's pretty much Florida in the summer- a whole of color and f**king.
Beautiful, beautiful photos.

Lynne said...

FABULOUS photos! I was the one who asked for pics of the lubber hoppers and I was not disappointed. I think they are cool looking! But then again, I like bugs.

It's hard to pick a favorite out of those shots. Insect sex is very kinky, so to speak. ;)

I'm sure you're glad to be on your home turf once again. Just in time for Royal Baby Mania!!

The Bug said...

I like the grasshopper pictures - they're so cool & alien up close :)

e said...

These are so Florida...I'm glad you made it safely back to Olga and Dave.

Steve Reed said...

Update: According to the web site Florida Backyard Spiders, that spider is an Orchard Orbweaver (Leucauge venusta).

Linda Sue said...

WOW! Ka-Bloooey- mind blown- most gorgeous photography! I do love the insects- riding piggy back...welcome home.

Anonymous said...

Love love these photos! Well done! I have a rabbit family living under my deck and the largest one has done a number tearing up the front lawn. Hmmmm, rabbit stew? Again, great photos!

Reya Mellicker said...

The grasshoppers do appear a bit miffed.

Fabulous pictures.

I bet Olga is so happy to see you - and now Dave is off to Vegas. Wow.

Rest up. Glad you're home sweet home.

Lorianne said...

I agree with the others: the grasshoppers are cool. But then again, maybe they only LOOK cool in pictures and would be terrifying in real life...