Saturday, August 3, 2013

Marilyn, and Other Barcelona Sightings


Dave and I decided that the best way to see Barcelona would be via one of those open-top bus tours. So we bought tickets, but by the time we got in line to board a bus yesterday morning, the sun was already broiling and we had just a few hours before we had to be at a restaurant for a lunch reservation. So we bailed on the bus and walked through the Plaça de Catalunya, where this old gent was feeding pigeons, up to La Pedrera, an apartment building designed by Antoni Gaudi.


We took a self-guided tour of the building, the best part of which is the crazy, funhouse roof, with its wild ghost-like chimneys. I can see why Gaudi has earned the reputation of being one of Spain's -- and indeed, the world's -- most inventive architects.

From there we went to lunch at Cinq Sentits, a terrific restaurant that Dave had scoped out. It really was a gastronomic experience -- one of the best meals we've ever eaten, we both concurred. We had a tasting menu with wine pairings and even got to see the kitchen and meet the chef.


Later in the afternoon, Marilyn was greeting crowds on a balcony over La Rambla.


I'd always heard this was a great town for street art, and indeed, there is tons of it. I've taken myself on two solo walks while Dave snoozes in the hotel, and I've found incredible quantities of fun and interesting art. Why pay for a museum?


Finally, late yesterday afternoon, we went back to the tour bus and climbed on with no difficulty whatsoever. By this time, the sun was much lower and the temperatures cooler, and we enjoyed a couple of hours' sightseeing. We got off the bus just once, to see the city from the Palau Nacional at Montjuic, the neighborhood overlooking central Barcelona from the south. Bathed in a pink-orange evening glow, it was quite a view! (Photos will be on Flickr soon, as usual!)

6 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

This looks and sounds like a real vacation. How lovely! So much light and color.

Sharon said...

Love that rooftop art work. I have friends who were in Barcelona two years ago and they came back with fantastic Gaudi shots. His work is so interesting and well....whimsical. What a great Marilyn!

Lynne said...

I think Marilyn was posing just for you! Fabulous!

Love those chimneys--how interesting! Also love that you got everyone else snapping pics of them.

I am so jealous of your lunch. Nothing better than really really good food and a lunch that takes the better part of the day to eat. We spent many Sundays in France that very same way--eating our way through!

Sounds like you're having a grand time--enjoy!

The Bug said...

I think a Gaudi building figured prominently in one of the Artemis Fowl books - ha!

I'm so glad you're having a good time!

Reya Mellicker said...

As usual - GREAT pictures. I feel like I'm there.

Wish I were!

e said...

This sounds like a wonderful trip, and that lunch -- I don't believe I've ever had a complete meal I would describe as the best I've ever eaten...Wow.