Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A Tornado of Inefficiency


I just can't seem to get things done these days. Allow me to be boring and enumerate the handful of important tasks that I'm having trouble bringing to completion.

-- I still have to get Dave a Christmas present. It's ridiculous, I know. I am the lamest partner ever. I know what I want to get him, but can't seem to get to the shops. Since I'm either on my way to work or working from 8:30 a.m. to 5:45 p.m., it's easier said than done, at least during business hours.

-- The state of New York sent me a notice saying I owe more income tax for 2010. They contend that my H&R Block tax preparer made an error on my return, and that I need to send the state an additional $600. I've contacted the tax preparer and sent her the notice, and I'm waiting for her response. I'd really like to get it resolved. I'm tempted to pay it just to get it to go away.

-- Dave and I have to get visas for our trip to China next month. We need an assortment of completed paperwork as well as passport photos and some other stuff. I'm hoping I can get this all pulled together today, so I can drop it off tomorrow at the visa office in Marylebone. We walked down Portobello Road in the pouring rain last night to get our photos taken, and I look really annoyed in mine, which is probably more or less accurate.

-- Olga had another bout of her periodic gastric illness over the weekend. We suspect that she has giardia, a water-borne parasite that causes cyclical episodes of diarrhea, gas and other fun symptoms. Dave is taking her to the vet tomorrow.

-- Next week, I have to speak to four first-grade classes about interviewing. (You may remember that I did this last year, too.) Not a huge deal, but I have to think about what I'm going to say.

Meanwhile, there's all the business of day-to-day living -- the laundry, the cleaning, the working. And while I don't want to turn reading into a negative thing, I do feel some pressure to finish "The Goldfinch," which is a huge book, because several people are waiting in line behind me to read the library's copy. Gah!

(Photo: Mile End, on Sunday.)

8 comments:

ellen abbott said...

I could have written this but my list would be different. Marc and I quit buying each other presents. I just buy my own. I'm only half way through The Book Thief and I've had it for 3 weeks. Need to pay the fine and renew it.

ain't for city gals said...

That is why I don't work outside the home...there just isn't enough time! Luckily for me my husband agrees that things go much more smoothly if one person earns the money and one person takes care of everyday living stuff! I am on the waiting list for the goldfinch...I think I have moved up to #44 or something...ha!

Ms. Moon said...

Wait. What? You're going to China? How did I miss that fact?

Sharon said...

If you are anything like me, when get all these things sorted out you will say "that wasn't so bad, why did I let that bother me". I do that all the time.

Reya Mellicker said...

You just got back from seeing your dad, going through his things with him. Your heart is heavy. Of course it's taking you awhile.

I hope you will be gentle with yourself, Steve.

Linda Sue said...

CHINA????!!!! Geez, take a gas mask and oxygen tanks, We want to have you return in good shape! Poor little Olga, it is rough sometimes, being a dog...Dexter sends sympathy...I know how you feel, winter blahs...I can not get motivated either. Lack of colour and sunshine takes a toll.

Nancy said...

Do what you absolutely must, the things that seem to stress you the most, and cast the rest to the wind and come back to it when you can. I can't wait for the China pics. And may the gastric gods find favor with Olga.

Radish King said...

Hi. How did you end up in London? I want to end up some place fabulous. I followed you here from Mary Moon's house.
Rebecca