Sunday, May 17, 2015

A Day on the South Bank


It was such a beautiful day yesterday! After my French class, during which we struggled through descriptions of our daily activities ("Je me réveille à cinq heures et demie tous le jours") I decided to go for a photo walk. I went down to Westminster to walk along the river.

I haven't been to the Thames in months. While I was focused on Bleeding London -- basically for the past year -- I kept mostly to residential neighborhoods and stayed away from Central London. So it feels great to get back to where the action is.


Starting at Westminster, I crossed the Lambeth Bridge and then walked eastward along the river, all the way to Bermondsey. I passed most of London's major sights and wound up with about 160 pictures, of which I kept about 40.


I can't wait until school ends and I can do things like this more often! My photo wandering is pretty much limited to once a week at this point. We only have a few more weeks to go.


There were lots of interesting characters out yesterday, too, so I got some pretty good people pictures. I'm sure I'm in a lot of their pictures as well, though I doubt that I am as interesting!

Today looks like it will be nice, too. Olga and I plan an outing while Dave works more on the garden.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

London looks so good in the sunshine! I love all the colours in that last picture.

Ms. Moon said...

Now you can shoot for the joy of it! There is something to be said for that.
I want that lady's skirt in the last picture.

ellen abbott said...

I'm going to be working in the yard too today. went to two nurseries on Friday. as if I didn't get enough stuff at the garden club plant sale and the trip to Brookwood. not currently raining but overcast.

ellen abbott said...

and that's a very cool bridge. are people allowed to go up the towers to the crosswalk?

John Going Gently said...

First photo
The childcatcher from chitty chitty bang bang

Sharon said...

When I was there a year ago, I took that same walk in the opposite direction. I took the tube to Tower Hill, crossed tower bridge and walked all the way to Westminster. I loved it. There is so much to see on that route.

Elizabeth said...

It does look very, very beautiful there and I look forward to seeing more of your "regular" London photos! I imagine you make an interesting subject for others' photos, too!

Steve Reed said...

Sarah: It was a very colorful day! Sun makes all the difference.

Ms Moon: I assume you mean the blue one, and not the yellow spandex?

Ellen: Yes! That's Tower Bridge, and you can take a tour that leads you up the towers and across that top span.

John: Ha! I have to confess I have never seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I know, I know. (And for some reason I keep typing Shitty Shitty Bank Bank...?)

Sharon: It's a great walking route and for visitors it's perfect because you really do see almost EVERYTHING.

Elizabeth: I doubt it, but who knows! :)

The Bug said...

Oh wow, John is right! And we watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang recently. It was one of my favorite childhood movies, but this time it just seemed VERY bizarre! So maybe you'd like it :)

37paddington said...

Wonderful people shots! I love the multiculti-ness of that last picture. All those people together in a small space, each in an apparently separate universe.