Sunday, July 26, 2015

Purple and Gold


When I was growing up in Florida, purple and gold meant fall to me -- the goldenrod, the blazing stars, the pine lilies.

Here, they're summer colors. Olga and I found a few examples while walking yesterday on Hampstead Heath Extension.


Have I mentioned that I'm taking off for Florida in just two days? The immediacy surprises even me. This trip has been planned for a while, but I was startled when I woke up this morning and realized I'm leaving the day after tomorrow! Holy cow. Fortunately I don't have much to do to prepare.

Dave and I watched the TV movie pilot for "Fantasy Island" last night. I vividly remember watching it when it first aired in January 1977, and I even remember parts of the plot. But I hadn't seen it in, oh, 35 years at least. I found it on YouTube but the posted movie turned out to be flawed, so I bought it on British iTunes -- where, by the way, the picture quality was much better and well worth the £1 and change that it cost. It was a hoot to watch! Bill Bixby, Carol Lynley, Eleanor Parker, Sandra Dee, Peter Lawford, Victoria Principal and a host of other actors...a real nostalgia trip. Interestingly, although I remember loving the pilot, I was never a fan of the series itself. Between Ricardo Montalbán and Hervé Villechaize, the schtick was a bit heavy to endure every week.

7 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I used to watch that show every Saturday night when I was a young guitar widow with two young'uns.
It was...vaguely entertaining.
I hope your trip to Florida goes smoothly and well. Y'all stop by if you get a chance. You know where I am.

Sharon said...

I don't think I even realized that the show came from a movie. I don't think I ever saw it but those actors names are all familiar to me.

37paddington said...

Love the top photo. Definitely one for your Olga portrait series!

e said...

Wishing you an enjoyable trip. Give my best to your mom. I think Olga needs her own book of photos,LOL.

Sarah said...

Great photo of Olga in the flowers! All I remember of Fantasy Island is 'de plane, de plane!'
Have a great time in Florida!

jenny_o said...

I didn't know there was a movie, either ... have to admit I liked the show. But there wasn't much to pick from on our whole TWO channels :)

Have a good trip to the US. The weather will be a big change, I think?

The Bug said...

De plane - de plane! We loved that show - ha! Of course, like Jenny, we didn't have a lot of choices :)