Friday, July 29, 2016

About Face


I talked to my brother and stepsister yesterday, and my dad's condition isn't as good as the positive reports of his vital signs had led me to hope. In fact, he's going into hospice care. He was due to be released from the hospital yesterday, to return home and be cared for there. He's very weak and, although breathing on his own, is unable to eat.

So, I'll be back on a plane to Florida this morning. I bought an open-ended ticket so I could schedule my return to England as needed.

Dave and I cancelled our Copenhagen trip, and British Airways very reasonably deferred our tickets so we can use them again at a future date. Unfortunately the hotel wasn't as reasonable -- we're losing the £400 we prepaid for our accommodations. We're going to try to claim it from our travel insurance.

And me? I feel numb, sad, frustrated -- and I know I have it easy compared to, say, my stepmother. It's hard to deal with a situation that is so fluid. I literally don't know what to think, feel or expect. But I think it's important for me to be with the rest of the family.

I was able to speak to my dad on the phone yesterday, to tell him I love him, and he whispered the same back to me. So that's something.

(Photo: Window reflections and our maltese cross flower.)

15 comments:

e said...

So sorry, Steve....Give my best to everyone and let me know if you need an ear or a shoulder. Have a safe trip.

MaryAnn said...

Sending gentle thoughts

Yorkshire Pudding said...

If you had gone to Copenhagen, it would have been very hard to enjoy the experience. You would have been feeling guilty and thoughts of your father would have been in your head all the time. I think you have made the right choice Steve.

Vivian said...

i am so sorry Steve. please know you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Ms. Moon said...

Shadows and light...
I am so sorry.
Let's be in touch.

Lynne said...

Oh, Steve. I'm so sorry. Sending supportive vibes to all.

ellen abbott said...

so sorry to hear this Steve.

Red said...

It's a very stressful stage of life for families. It isn't any easier when you're on a different continent.

Sharon said...

Sorry to hear this news Steve. I can relate to how stressful this situation is. Take care and safe travels.

Sabine said...

So sorry, Steve. Thinking of you and your family.

jenny_o said...

All I can offer you is what I learned when my dad was sick. No one - and that includes nurses and doctors - knows the path ahead. It may be long, it may not. He may rally and start eating and grow stronger, and he may not. Nobody knows. Our lives all unwind differently from beginning to end. So do not feel like you should know what to expect, or that it's even possible. Personally I would do the same as you - be there, be prepared for any outcome. It's good to be with family when family is a source of support. My heart and good wishes go out to you and your father and family.

rockygrace said...

I'm sorry for your bad news. My dad was in hospice care in Florida, and the people and the program were the absolute BEST. Hopefully that can be some small comfort to you.

Coppa's girl said...

Safe journey. I hope that it's good news for you all, and your father is soon on the road to recovery.

The Bug said...

What jenny_o said - it really is such a fluid situation. I'm glad that you're going to be there. Prayers for you & your family.

Cheryl West said...

You are doing the best for you and your family. They will appreciate your presence and support. Best regards for all and I hope your father feels better and is kept comfortable.