Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Flying Things


Well, my colonoscopy is over, thank goodness. Aren't you impressed with how quiet I was about the 48-hour prep period? I figured you didn't need to hear about that. You're welcome.

Anyway, the coast is clear -- no polyps, nothing scary. Apparently the digestive issues that nearly sent me home early from Florida really were gastritis. I've finished my course of Nexium so hopefully it won't come back, but if it does, I can always buy more meds.


Just to show you that we do get actual birds at our peanut feeder (and not just mice), here's a photo taken a few days ago. The top bird is a blue tit -- we see lots and lots of those. The bottom bird was a mystery to me, but I looked it up and I believe it's a dunnock, which I don't remember ever seeing before.


Yesterday we had a whole group of long-tailed tits on our suet feeder. I also saw a juvenile goldfinch and several other more common birds. It seems like everything eats these suet balls -- squirrels, magpies, starlings. In fact there are three starlings on the feeder as I write.

(Top photo: A housefly on Totoro, in our garden. For some reason the flies like to hang out on his face.)

9 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

If garden creatures find the suet balls delicious why don't you and Dave try some for dinner? Fry up a chopped onion, pour in a tin of tomatoes then add the suet balls for a minute or two. Stir together and season with salt and pepper. Voila! Serve with your favourite pasta or rice. Yummy!

Ms. Moon said...

Oh man- I can't believe you didn't write about the colonoscopy prep. You're so stoic! Seriously, I'm really glad it came out all clear. Don't you feel better?

Lynne said...

Glad to hear your inside parts checked out okay. I guess they make you drink that vile salty stuff in the UK too? It's hard to get it all down.

Cheryl West said...

Great news that your innards are all clear. What peace of mind for you.

ellen abbott said...

I do miss the tea cup bird feeder that I took down due to too many squirrels. they are so greedy. the other one is nice but too far away to get decent pictures.

Sharon said...

That top photo is perfect! It made me laugh.
Glad your procedure produced positive results. That really gives you some peace of mind.

The Bug said...

I was thinking of using the colon prep diet to lose weight - maybe do the prep once a week? Ha! I don't have the willpower to do that, which is why I need to be on a diet.

I'm catching back up on your blog again. I didn't comment on yesterday's thread, but it really is so true about Leftland and Rightland, and never the twain shall meet. Many of my conservative friends are planning to vote for Gary Johnson. I say go for it! But my "Leftland" friends had better vote for Hillary or we're all in trouble...

jenny_o said...

Your restraint is formidable! Glad the scope went well.

Totoro looks like he can actually see that fly, in a cross-eyed way. Maybe that's why the flies like to sit there :)

Love the bird photos. They are so tiny and fluffy.

Red said...

As my physician says about the colonoscopy...this is not pleasant. The last colonoscopy i had, I was on the table and ready...waiting for the doctor who had gone home to let his dog out!!!