Friday, July 8, 2016

Sleepless in the Sunshine


Well, my post about churchgoing definitely stirred up some memories! Thanks for all your comments about your own experiences. It seems like many of us had similar, youthful flirtations (probably an inappropriate word in this context) with religion that for whatever reason didn't "take."

I feel like I should say something about Dallas, but honestly, I don't know what to say -- except, once again, the old refrain that there are WAY TOO MANY GUNS out there. And violence just feeds more violence. I don't know enough yet to go beyond that.

Remember how I came to Florida in April to be with my dad while he had brain surgery? Well, I'm happy to report that he's doing better. I've been spending the last several nights at his house -- in his guest house, actually -- and though he's still undergoing treatments, he has daytime nursing care and seems much improved. Which, needless to say, is good. He's eating well -- his current obsession is cashew nuts -- and we went to Village Inn yesterday for pancakes. He's very into a Robert Redford-produced TV series about the history of the American West, so we've been watching that.

(And news -- lots of news. A person can definitely watch too much news. Especially lately.)

I also had a chance to meet up with some old friends from high school on Wednesday evening. I hadn't seen Barbara in about five years, and Lisa and Curtis in about 20! We had a fun little reunion at Panera.

My own health has been a bit rocky. Years ago I had a problem with gastritis and it seems to have flared up again, leaving me feeling bloated and yucky. Fortunately, my go-to medicine, Nexium, is now available over the counter (yay!) so I picked some up at Walgreen's the day I arrived. We'll see if that helps.

Oh, and a full night's sleep would be nice. Damn jet lag!

(Photo: A lizard in the guest-house yard.)

11 comments:

Lynne said...

Glad to hear your dad is doing better! Are you enjoying the series "The American West?" We are watching it too and I find that part of history both sad and fascinating. I try hard not to watch the news, just Jeopardy which comes after. ;)

Hopefully your body will settle down. Those long flights mess with your system!

Lynne said...

P. S. If you ARE enjoying the American West you might be interested in the series "Hell on Wheels" which is all about the railroad being built and the little "portable" town that follows it west.

e said...

Glad to hear your dad's improved...sounds like you need some sleep and a bit of tending to yourself. Best to your family.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Your father has a guest house? Good heavens. he must be very wealthy. Sorry to learn you are feeling bloated. Perhaps too many pancakes at The Village Inn? I know what you mean about receiving too much news - it drives you crazy after a while.

Ms. Moon said...

Glad to hear your dad's doing better.
Sorry to hear you're having problems! Ugh. The human body...intelligent design?
Moving on.
How do you like the weather? How enough for you? (Feel free to slap me.)

Sharon said...

I woke up to the Dallas news this morning and was shocked. I had dinner with my friend David last night and we were just talking about the two incidents in St. Paul and Baton Rouge that happened recently. Now this! I totally agree about the guns, way, way too many and no way visible to stop it. We are a crazy society.
I'm glad to hear your dad is doing well.

ellen abbott said...

yes, glad to hear you dad is doing better. and jet lag sucks. and goddam this is one fucked up country.

jenny_o said...

That's good news about your father. Hope your stomach settles down - I've been on acid reducers of one kind or another for 25 years now - couldn't live without them. Only recently has my (new) doctor said they aren't for long-term use - what?! Love the tiny lizard; he's really camouflaged well - I didn't see him until I read the photo information and had a second look :)

John Going Gently said...

Love that little chap so delicate x have fun

Red said...

Yes, there are things that are too difficult to blog about but I think you're going to have to take a crack at it. If we all keep quiet nothing happens. One thing I say is that it's hard to discuss something when the other guy has a gun. Enjoy your time with your Dad.

37paddington said...

You e been tending everyone else. Time to tend yourself, friend. I hope some rest and de stressing is all you need.